Bruce Rauner, Governor

State Links Skip to Content Skip to State Links

 Health & Safety
 Family & Home
 About Illinois

Stay Informed

Your Government

Illinois Flag Honors

Inspector General

 IGNN: State/All Press Release

The State of Illinois News page provides access to the Illinois Government News Network and all state press releases.

August 16, 2011

Sale Of Champions Breaks Three Records
Event raises $135,200 for junior producers and the state’s 4-H and FFA education programs

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – Governor Pat Quinn proved to be a good “arm twister” at Tuesday evening’s Sale of Champion Illinois State Fair livestock and commodities.

“I wish you could raise as much money for the state of Illinois as you have here tonight,” master of ceremonies Orion Samuelson said.

With the encouragement of the governor, three records were broken. The first was for Sarah DeSchepper’s Grand Champion Wether. DeSchepper’s wether was auctioned off for $12,500, beating the previous record by $3,000.

“It’s awesome,” DeSchepper, 18, of Altona, said. “I’ve been here eight times and never done it. I’m glad this could be the year and I could be a part of it.”

The second record was for the sales price of the Land of Lincoln Grand Champion Barrow.  It fetched $10,100 for showman Adam Gradert, 13, of Geneseo, or $100 more than the previous mark. 
The third record was for Sherman teenager Austin Burris and his Grand Champion Steer. His steer was sold for a whopping $51, 200, breaking the previous record of $50,100.

“I was excited and I couldn’t believe it. It’s unbelievable,” the 18-year-old Burris said.

Joining these three record-breakers was a newcomer.  13-year-old Kenzie Schlipf came to the sale for the first time with her Grand Champion Rabbit Meat Pen.

“It’s a lot to take in and there are a lot of people,” Schlipf, who was all smiles as her meat pen sold for $3,700, said.

Schlipf was accompanied at the auction by her cousin Bodee Schlipf, who exhibited the Grand Champion Barrow.  It sold for $16,000. 

“It was really lucky. We never thought we’d both be in it,” Kenzie said.

The Grand Champion Poultry Meat Pen brought $3,500 for exhibitor James Banas, 13, of Wimington, while the Grand Champion Meat Goat sold for $3,000.  Its exhibitor was 12-year-old Dylan Hummel of Cabery. 

The sale raised $135,200 Tuesday night.  The junior producers who raised the animals receive 80 percent of the sales price.  The remaining 20 percent is divided equally between the 4H and FFA youth education programs.   
A list of all the animals sold at the auction as well as their owners, the purchasers, and the amount that each animal sold for follows:

Grand Champion Cheddar Cheese
Avanti Foods
Illinois State Auctioneers Association & Farm Credit Services
Grand Champion Cottage Cheese
Prairie Farms (Carbondale, Ill.)
McDonalds of Taylorville (Marty Davis)
Grand Champion Cream Cheese
Swiss Valley Farms
University of Illinois
Grand Champion String Cheese
Kraft Foods (Campbell, N.Y.)
Lee Gaule
Grand Champion Bacon
Erckman’s Processing
Illinois Association of Meat Processors
Grand Champion Ham
Erckman’s Processing
Sorrell’s Farm Supply
Grand Champion Summer Sausage
Thrushwood Farms
Lee Auction Service
Grand Champion Processed Beef
Erckman’s Processing
Cory Craig – Auctioneer
Best of Show Illinois Wine
Prairie State Winery
Illinois Green Industry Association
Grand Champion Honey
Christopher Saad
Top Line Farms
Grand Champion Doe’s Milk
Evan Jodlowski
Parker Elvidge
Grand Champion Rabbit Meat Pen
Kenzie Schlipf
Beck’s Hybrids & Agrivest Inc.
Grand Champion Poultry Trio
James Banas
McDonald’s (Marty & Donna Davis Family)
Land of Lincoln Supreme Champion Female Print
Allison Telgmann
Prairie Farms
Grand Champion Meat Goat Wether
Dylan Hummel
Dr. MacGregor & Family
Land of Lincoln Grand Champion Wether
Sarah DeSchepper
Friends of Knox County 4-H, Waste Management, and the Sky Ride
Grand Champion Wether
Sarah DeSchepper
North American Midway Entertainment
Land of Lincoln Grand Champion Barrow
Adam Gradert
Illinois Purebred Swine Breeders
Grand Champion Barrow
Bodee Schlipf
Cargill & Brandt
Land of Lincoln Grand Champion Steer
Elaine Richardson
Pioneer Hybrids & Friends of Morgan County 4-H
$30, 700
Grand Champion Steer
Austin Burris
Dekalb, Asgrow, Monsanto, & AT&T


News Categories

 Governor's Office
 Lt. Governor's Office
 Economic Development
 Flag Honors
 Health/Human Services
 Opportunity Returns

News Resources

 Search the News
 IIS Radio News
 RSS News Feeds
 e-News Subscriptions
 Communications Office
 Privacy Statement


Sign up for an e-news subscription
Copyright © 2017 State of Illinois Site Map | Illinois Privacy Info | Kids Privacy | Web Accessibility | Contact Us