Bruce Rauner, Governor

State Links Skip to Content Skip to State Links

 Health & Safety
 Family & Home
 About Illinois

Stay Informed

Your Government

Illinois Flag Honors

Inspector General

 IGNN: State/All Press Release

The State of Illinois News page provides access to the Illinois Government News Network and all state press releases.

April 24, 2007

Illinois Landowner Incentive Program accepting applications for habitat restoration and enhancement projects
LIP open enrollment period May 1 – June 1

SPRINGFIELD, IL – The Illinois Landowner Incentive Program (LIP) will be accepting applications for habitat restoration and enhancement projects in the Lower Sangamon River Watershed through June 1.  Applications will be accepted at 12 Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCDs), including Cass, Christian, DeWitt, Logan, Macon, Macoupin, Mason, Menard, McLean, Piatt, Sangamon and Tazewell.

The LIP program is a cooperative effort between the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Illinois Department of Natural Resources and local SWCDs to help landowners manage for wildlife on private lands.  The program is focused on implementing the Illinois Fish and Wildlife Action Plan and must show benefits to threatened and endangered species or species listed as being in ‘greatest need of conservation’ in the plan.  LIP is currently restoring over 300 acres with 13 projects in the Lower Sangamon River Watershed and has provided technical assistance to improve another 1,000 acres through other private land programs. 

LIP provides a number of benefits for landowners including cost share for approved management practices to restore or improve habitat quality on private land, to increase awareness of Illinois’ natural resources and the needs of rare species, and to improve hunting and recreational opportunities on their property. 

LIP is a management based program and pays for 75% of the costs associated with implementing a management plan.  Landowners can pay the remaining 25% of costs in cash or by working on approved practices from the management plan.

Proposed projects are evaluated by several criteria, including whether or not the site is protected with a permanent easement, the number of listed species present on the site, and whether the proposed project is consistent with the Illinois Fish and Wildlife Action Plan. 

Of particular interest are areas currently designated ‘Illinois Natural Areas Inventory’ sites, Illinois Nature Preserves, Illinois Land and Water Reserves, and land adjacent to sites where rare species or habitats exist.  The Landowner Incentive Program does not offer annual payments and it is not a land acquisition program.  While the program is not geared towards taking land out of production, cropland that does restore habitat near high quality sites will be considered for funding.  Landowners of the Lower Sangamon River Watershed should contact their local Soil and Water Conservation District for more information and to submit an eligibility form for potential projects.


News Categories

 Governor's Office
 Lt. Governor's Office
 Economic Development
 Flag Honors
 Health/Human Services
 Opportunity Returns

News Resources

 Search the News
 IIS Radio News
 RSS News Feeds
 e-News Subscriptions
 Communications Office
 Privacy Statement


Sign up for an e-news subscription
Copyright © 2017 State of Illinois Site Map | Illinois Privacy Info | Kids Privacy | Web Accessibility | Contact Us