Bruce Rauner, Governor

State Links Skip to Content Skip to State Links

 Health & Safety
 Family & Home
 About Illinois

Stay Informed

Your Government

Illinois Flag Honors

Inspector General

 IGNN: State/All Press Release

The State of Illinois News page provides access to the Illinois Government News Network and all state press releases.

September 9, 1999

Ryan Releases Funds For Greater Rockford Airport Improvements

SPRINGFIELD -- Governor George H. Ryan approved the release of more than $200,000 for improvements to runways at the Greater Rockford Airport to help accommodate large jets used by United Parcel Service at the company's Rockford sorting facility.

"These improvements will help keep Rockford competitive in the business world. Good transportation is a key to economic development and I am committed to making sure our air transit network is second to none," Ryan said. "The Greater Rockford Airport is becoming a major cargo facility and will become more important in the future as more high-value, time-sensitive items are moved by air."

The Governor approved the release of $201,832 in state airport "Series B Bond funds" to help pay for the Runway 7 project, which will extend the existing runway and parallel taxiway to 10,000 feet.

The allocation includes $183,822 for the reconstruction, lighting and general improvement of 5,000 feet of Runway 7/25. The total $3.7 million cost of this project will be split between the state, federal and local governments. The federal government is supplying 90 percent of the money for the reconstruction, with state and local sources splitting the remaining 10 percent.

Also released by Ryan was $18,010 to help with the extension of Runway 7. The state's commitment will supplement federal and local shares of this project, which totals $808,852. The federal government is providing 45 percent of the funding for this project and local sources will contribute 52.5 percent.


News Categories

 Governor's Office
 Lt. Governor's Office
 Economic Development
 Flag Honors
 Health/Human Services
 Opportunity Returns

News Resources

 Search the News
 IIS Radio News
 RSS News Feeds
 e-News Subscriptions
 Communications Office
 Privacy Statement


Sign up for an e-news subscription
Copyright © 2017 State of Illinois Site Map | Illinois Privacy Info | Kids Privacy | Web Accessibility | Contact Us